The keys to facilitating a great live session
30 minutes before
- Join the room early and pause the recording.
- Maven will automatically share the recording to your students' via the course Home if you stop the recording, but not if you pause it.
- Ensure your waiting room is turned on in Zoom.
- Briefly review your session content.
- Gather any relevant links to share in the Zoom chat or via your course community. You might have links for:
- external content, syllabus items, session surveys, etc.
- Queue up your post-workshop announcement as a DRAFT in the #announcement channel.
- Publish as soon as the workshop is over.
10 minutes before
- Once the instructor is ready, click “Admit All” attendees.
- Be ready to admit students individually if they join later.
- At the 3-4 minute mark, start sharing your session content.
- Keep an eye on the participant list for latecomers.
- Implement in-session engagement strategies to keep students involved.
- Keep a sense of time and adjust your content as needed.
- Queue up upcoming breakout rooms (see next section).
- At least 5 minutes before the breakout discussion is set to start, click on the “Breakout Rooms” button in the Zoom footer:
- Change the number of rooms setting until you see the desired number of participants per room.
- Click “Create Rooms” to queue up the rooms when you’re ready to split people up
- On this screen, you can make manual adjustments like switching people into different rooms or manually assigning someone to join a breakout room.
- Be ready to share links or simple directions in the Zoom chat.
- Give an opportunity for students to ask questions before you open the breakout rooms.
- Select “Open All Rooms” when you are ready to have people join the breakout rooms.
- People will be able to select “Join” to leave the main room and join their breakout rooms.
- If needed, you can manually assign students to a different room.
- People may get kicked off and rejoin the main room. They should be able to re-join their breakout room or you can re-assign them.
- Pause the recording during breakout rooms.
- Keep in mind that the main room is recorded unless you pause the recording.
- A minute or two before you close the room, you can send a “Broadcast Message" to help students wrap up their convos.
- When time is up, restart recording, click on “Close all Rooms”. This will start a 60 second countdown after which everyone will be forced back in the main room.
Last 10 minutes of workshop
- Ask a debrief question.
- Post your post-workshop announcement in the #announcement channel of course course community.
Helpful Zoom Settings
Remote Design Sprint Masterclass for Agile Teams
Elevate Your Design Sprints: Maximize Innovation with Efficient, Resource-Smart Remote Techniques
Deliver Presentations that Get Results
A masterclass on crafting and delivering powerful online presentations that get you paid and promoted.
Maven Course Accelerator
Get proven templates, guidance, and feedback to turn your hard-earned knowledge into a premium course.
Advance your leadership skills and guide your group with ease and confidence – no matter what happens.
Mid-level to Senior for high-growth engineers
🔨 Nail the 5 key areas you need to get to the senior level
Next Level Zoom Facilitation for Leaders
Integrate simple, creative techniques that make online sessions feel more like in-person connection.