Last Updated: August 4, 2021
Maven Terms of Service
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in Maven Learning, Inc. (“Maven,” “we,” or “us”) and our website at maven.com, along with our related websites, networks, applications, and other services provided by us (collectively, the “Service”). These Terms of Service are a legally binding contract between you and Maven regarding your use of the Service.
Please read the following terms carefully
ARBITRATION NOTICE. Except for certain kinds of disputes described in Section 17, you agree that disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved by binding, individual arbitration, and BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS, YOU AND MAVEN ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY CLASS ACTION OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. YOU AGREE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under this contract (except for matters that may be taken to small claims court). Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury. (See Section 17.)
- Maven Service Overview. We are building a platform to help anyone build a cohort-based course and deliver a premium student experience at scale. Unlike small workshops or impersonal mass online classes, we will integrate both live and asynchronous components to engage students without needing to scale up instructor time or support staff. Our mission is to democratize cohort-based courses.
- Eligibility. You must be at least 13 years old to use the Service. By agreeing to these Terms, you represent and warrant to us that: (a) you are at least 13 years old; (b) you have not previously been suspended or removed from the Service; and (c) your registration and your use of the Service is in compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations. If you are an entity, organization, or company, the individual accepting these Terms on your behalf represents and warrants that they have authority to bind you to these Terms and you agree to be bound by these Terms.
- Accounts and Registration. To access most features of the Service, you must register for an account. When you register for an account, you may be required to provide us with some information about yourself, such as your name, email address, or other contact information. You agree that the information you provide to us is accurate and that you will keep it accurate and up-to-date at all times. When you register, you will be asked to provide a password. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password, and you accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account. You are prohibited from sharing your account information and access to the Service through your account with others. We may suspend or terminate your account if we believe you have shared your account information with a third party. If you believe that your account is no longer secure, then you must immediately notify us at email@example.com. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to disallow, cancel, remove, or reassign usernames, without liability to you or any third party, and with or without prior notice to you.
- General Payment Terms. Certain features of the Service may require you to pay fees. Before you pay any fees, you will have an opportunity to review and accept the fees that you will be charged. All fees are in U.S. Dollars and are non-refundable.
- Price. Maven instructors reserve the right to determine pricing for courses offered on the Service. Maven will make reasonable efforts to keep pricing information published on the website up to date. We encourage you to check our website periodically for current pricing information. Maven or its instructors may change the fees for any course on the Service, including additional fees or charges, and Maven will provide you advance notice of such changes before they apply. Maven, at its sole discretion, may make promotional offers with different features and different pricing to any of Maven’s customers. These promotional offers, unless made to you, will not apply to your offer or these Terms. You acknowledge and agree that Maven may choose to share a portion of the payments that you provide to Maven for your use of different features of the Service with instructors who host courses on the Service.
- Authorization. You authorize Maven and its third party payment processors to charge all sums for the orders that you make and any level of Service you select as described in these Terms or published by Maven, including all applicable taxes, to the payment method specified in your account. If you pay any fees with a credit card, Maven or its third party payment processors may seek pre-authorization of your credit card account prior to your purchase to verify that the credit card is valid and has the necessary funds or credit available to cover your purchase.
- Delinquent Accounts. Maven may suspend or terminate access to the Service, including fee-based portions of the Service, for any account for which any amount is due but unpaid. In addition to the amount due for the Service, a delinquent account will be charged with fees or charges that are incidental to any chargeback or collection of any unpaid amount, including collection fees.
- Limited License. Subject to your complete and ongoing compliance with these Terms, Maven grants you, solely for your personal, non-commercial use, a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to access and use the Service.
- License Restrictions. Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law, you may not, and may not attempt to: (a) reproduce, distribute, publicly display, or publicly perform the Service and any content made available on or through the Service including, but not limited to, courses offered on the Service (collectively, the "Offering"); (b) make modifications to the Service; (c) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the Service, including any security or access control mechanism (d) decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, reverse assemble, analyze or otherwise examine, or attempt to derive the source code of the Service; (e) sell, resell, license, rent, lease, timeshare, or act as a service bureau or provide subscription services for the Offering or any part thereof; or (f) make any other use of the Offering, Materials (defined below), or any other content provided by Maven or its users on or through the Service, including any data concerning other users of the Service, except as expressly authorized by Maven in these Terms. If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the Service, you may not use it.
- Feedback. If you choose to provide ideas, input or suggestions during or about any courses or regarding problems with or proposed modifications or improvements to the Service ("Feedback"), then you hereby grant Maven an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully-paid, royalty-free right to exploit the Feedback in any manner and for any purpose, including to improve the Service and create other products and services, without any obligation of attribution or compensation to you for such Feedback.
- Ownership; Proprietary Rights; Marks.
- Ownership; Proprietary Rights. The Service is owned and operated by Maven. The visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, data, computer code (including source code or object code), products, software, services, and all other elements of the Service ("Materials") provided by Maven are protected by intellectual property and other laws. All Materials included in the Service are the property of Maven or its third party licensors. Except as expressly authorized by Maven, you may not make use of the Materials. Maven reserves all rights to the Materials not granted expressly in these Terms.
- Marks. The Maven trademarks, service marks, and logos (collectively, the "Maven Trademarks") used and displayed on the Service are Maven’s registered and/or unregistered trademarks or service marks. Any other product and service names located on the Service (including in courses) may be trademarks or service marks owned by third parties (collectively with the Maven Trademarks, the "Trademarks"). Except as otherwise permitted by law, you may not use the Trademarks to disparage Maven or the applicable third party, Maven’s or a third party’s products or services, or in any manner (using commercially reasonable judgment) that may damage any goodwill in the Trademarks. You may not use any Trademarks as part of a link to or from any website without Maven’s prior express written consent. All goodwill generated from the use of any Maven Trademark will inure solely to Maven’s benefit. All goodwill generated from the use of any other Trademark will inure solely to the benefit of the owner of such Trademark.
- Third-Party Terms
- Third-Party Services and Linked Websites. Maven may provide tools through the Service that enable you to export information, including User Content, to third-party services, including through features that allow you to link your account on Maven with an account on the third-party service, such as Twitter or Facebook, or through our implementation of third-party buttons (such as "like" or "share" buttons). By using one of these tools, you agree that Maven may transfer that information to the applicable third-party service. Third-party services are not under Maven’s control, and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, Maven is not responsible for any third-party service’s use of your exported information. The Service may also contain links to third-party websites. Linked websites are not under Maven’s control, and Maven is not responsible for their content.
- Third-Party Software. The Service may include or incorporate third-party software components that are generally available free of charge under licenses granting recipients broad rights to copy, modify, and distribute those components ("Third-Party Components"). Although the Service is provided to you subject to these Terms, nothing in these Terms prevents, restricts, or is intended to prevent or restrict you from obtaining Third-Party Components under the applicable third-party licenses or to limit your use of Third-Party Components under those third-party licenses.
- User Content
- User Content Generally. Certain features of the Service may permit users to upload content to the Service, including messages, reviews, photos, video, images, folders, data, text, and other types of works ("User Content") and to publish User Content on the Service. You retain any copyright and other proprietary rights that you may hold in the User Content that you post to the Service.
- Limited License Grant to Maven. By providing User Content to or via the Service, you grant Maven a worldwide, non-exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid right and license (with the right to sublicense through multiple tiers) to host, store, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, modify for the purpose of formatting for display, creative derivative works from, distribute, and otherwise exploit and use (collectively "Use") your User Content, in whole or in part, in any media formats and through any media channels now known or hereafter developed.
- Limited License Grant to Other Users. By providing User Content to or via the Service to other users of the Service, you grant those users a non-exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, fully paid up license to access and use that User Content as permitted by these Terms and the functionality of the Service.
- User Content Representations and Warranties. Maven disclaims any and all liability in connection with User Content. You are solely responsible for your User Content and the consequences of providing User Content via the Service. By providing User Content via the Service, you affirm, represent, and warrant that:
- you are the creator and owner of the User Content, or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to authorize Maven and users of the Service to use and distribute your User Content as necessary to exercise the licenses granted by you in this Section, in the manner contemplated by Maven, the Service, and these Terms;
- your User Content, and the use of your User Content as contemplated by these Terms, does not and will not: (i) infringe, violate, or misappropriate any third party right, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; (ii) slander, defame, libel, or invade the right of privacy, publicity or other property rights of any other person; or (iii) cause Maven to violate any law or regulation;
- your User Content will not require Maven to obtain authorizations, consents, licenses, or permissions from or pay any royalties or other consideration to any third party for the Use of your User Content; and
- your User Content could not be deemed by a reasonable person to be objectionable, profane, indecent, pornographic, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, hateful, or otherwise inappropriate.
- User Content Disclaimer. We are under no obligation to edit or control User Content that you or other users post or publish, and will not be in any way responsible or liable for User Content. Maven may, however, at any time and without prior notice, screen, remove, edit, or block any User Content that in our sole judgment violates these Terms or is otherwise objectionable. You understand that when using the Service you will be exposed to User Content from a variety of sources and acknowledge that User Content may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent, or objectionable. You agree to waive, and do waive, any legal or equitable right or remedy you have or may have against Maven with respect to User Content. If notified by a user or content owner that User Content allegedly does not conform to these Terms, we may investigate the allegation and determine in our sole discretion whether to remove the User Content, which we reserve the right to do at any time and without notice. For clarity, Maven does not permit copyright-infringing activities on the Service.
- Text Messaging. Maven and those acting on our behalf may send you text (SMS) messages at the phone number you provide us. These messages may include operational messages about your use of the Service, as well as marketing messages. You may opt out of receiving marketing and/or operational text messages at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you no longer wish to receive such texts along with the phone number of the mobile device receiving the texts. You may continue to receive text messages for a short period while Maven processes your request, and you may also receive text messages confirming the receipt of your opt-out request. Opting out of receiving operational text messages may impact the functionality that the Service provides to you. Text messages may be sent using an automatic telephone dialing system. Your agreement to receive text messages is not a condition of any purchase or use of the Service. Standard data and message rates may apply whenever you send or receive such messages, as specified by your carrier.
- Email. We may send you emails concerning our products and services, as well as those of third parties. You may opt-out of promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in the promotional email itself. If you choose to opt-out of both operational emails and operational SMS messages, Maven will have no method of communication through which to notify you regarding your purchases of courses or other functionality that the Service provides to you.
- Prohibited Conduct. BY USING THE SERVICE YOU AGREE NOT TO:
- use the Service for any illegal purpose or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law;
- harass, threaten, demean, embarrass, or otherwise harm any other user of the Service;
- violate, or encourage others to violate, any right of a third party, including by infringing or misappropriating any third party intellectual property right;
- interfere with security-related features of the Service, including by: (i) disabling or circumventing features that prevent or limit use or copying of any content; or (ii) reverse engineering or otherwise attempting to discover the source code of any portion of the Service except to the extent that the activity is expressly permitted by applicable law;
- make unauthorized recordings or screen captures of any content, including User Content, transmitted on or through the Service;
- simultaneously livesteam any course via a third-party audio-only or audiovisual platform; including, but not limited to, Facebook Live, Instagram Live, TikTok, and Twitch;
- interfere with the operation of the Service or any user’s enjoyment of the Service, including by: (i) uploading or otherwise disseminating any virus, adware, spyware, worm, or other malicious code; (ii) making any unsolicited offer or advertisement to another user of the Service; (iii) collecting personal information about another user or third party without consent; or (iv) interfering with or disrupting any network, equipment, or server connected to or used to provide the Service;
- perform any fraudulent activity including impersonating any person or entity, claiming a false affiliation, accessing any other Service account without permission, or falsifying your age or date of birth;
- sell or otherwise transfer the access granted under these Terms or any Materials (as defined in Section 6) or any right or ability to view, access, or use any Materials; or
- attempt to do any of the acts described in this Section 10 or assist or permit any person in engaging in any of the acts described in this Section 10.
- Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright or Other Intellectual Property Infringements
- Respect of Third Party Rights. Maven respects the intellectual property of others and takes the protection of intellectual property very seriously, and we ask our users to do the same. Infringing activity will not be tolerated on the Service.
- Designated Agent Contact Information. Maven’s designated agent for receipt of Notifications of Claimed Infringement ("Designated Agent") can be contacted at:Via Email: email@example.comVia U.S. Mail:
Maven Learning, Inc.
Attn: Legal Department (Copyright Notification)
10900 Research Blvd Ste 160C PMB 3086 Austin, TX 78759
213-538-2302Any notice alleging that materials hosted by or distributed through the Service infringe intellectual property rights (a "Notification of Claimed Infringement") must include the following information:
You should consult with your own lawyer and/or see 17 U.S.C. § 512 to confirm your obligations to provide a valid notice of claimed infringement.
- an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or other right being infringed;
- a description of the copyrighted work or other intellectual property that you claim has been infringed;
- a description of the material that you claim is infringing and where it is located on the Service;
- your address, telephone number, and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the use of the materials on the Service of which you are complaining is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a statement by you that the above information in your notice is accurate and that, under penalty of perjury, you are the copyright or intellectual property owner or authorized to act on the copyright or intellectual property owner’s behalf.
- Repeat Infringer Policy. Maven’s intellectual property policy is to: (a) remove or disable access to material that Maven believes in good faith, upon notice from an intellectual property owner or his or her agent, is infringing the intellectual property of a third party by being made available on the Service; and (b) remove any User Content posted to the Service by "repeat infringers." Maven considers a "repeat infringer" to be any user that has repeatedly infringed or repeatedly been charged with infringing the rights of third parties by posting User Content to the Service for which Maven has received takedown notices compliant with the provisions of 17 U.S.C. § 512 with respect to such User Content. Maven has discretion, however, to terminate the account of any user after receipt of a single notification of claimed infringement or upon Maven’s own determination.
- Counter Notification. If you receive a notification from Maven that material you posted on the Service has been the subject of a Notification of Claimed Infringement, then you will have the right to provide Maven with what is called a "Counter Notification." To be effective, a Counter Notification must be in writing, provided to Maven’s Designated Agent through one of the methods identified in Section 11.2 above and include substantially the following information:
You should consult a lawyer or see 17 U.S.C. § 512 to confirm your obligations to provide a valid Counter Notification under the Copyright Act.
- your physical or electronic signature;
- identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- a statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled; and
- your name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the your address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which Maven may be found, and you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification in accordance with Section 11.2 above or an agent of such person.
- Reposting of Content Subject to a Counter Notification. If you submit a Counter Notification to Maven in response to a Notification of Claimed Infringement, then Maven will promptly provide the person who provided the Notification of Claimed Infringement with a copy of your Counter Notification and inform that person that Maven will replace the removed User Content or cease disabling access to it in 10 business days, and Maven will replace the removed User Content and cease disabling access to it not less than 10, nor more than 14, business days following receipt of the Counter Notification, unless Maven’s Designated Agent receives notice from the party that submitted the Notification of Claimed Infringement that such person has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain the user from engaging in infringing activity relating to the material on Maven’s system or network.
- False Notifications of Claimed Infringement or Counter Notifications. The Copyright Act provides that:[a]ny person who knowingly materially misrepresents under [Section 512 of the Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512)] (1) that material or activity is infringing, or (2) that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification, will be pable for any damages, including costs and attorneys’ fees, incurred by the alleged infringer, by any copyright owner or copyright owner’s authorized pcensee, or by a service provider, who is injured by such misrepresentation, as the result of [Maven] relying upon such misrepresentation in removing or disabpng access to the material or activity claimed to be infringing, or in replacing the removed material or ceasing to disable access to it.17 U.S.C. § 512(f).Maven reserves the right to seek damages from any party that submits a Notification of Claimed Infringement or Counter Notification in violation of the law.For clarity, and notwithstanding anything in this Section 11 to the contrary, maven in its sole discretion may (but has no obligation to) disclose publicly any and all Notices of Claimed Infringement and Counter Notifications.
- Modification of these Terms. We reserve the right to change these Terms on a going-forward basis at any time upon 7 days’ notice. Please check these Terms periodically for changes. If a change to these Terms materially modifies your rights or obligations, we may require that you accept the modified Terms in order to continue to use the Service. Material modifications are effective upon your acceptance of the modified Terms. Immaterial modifications are effective upon publication. Except as expressly permitted in this Section 12, these Terms may be amended only by a written agreement signed by authorized representatives of the parties to these Terms. Disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the version of these Terms that was in effect at the time the dispute arose.
- Term, Termination and Modification of the Service
- Term. These Terms are effective beginning when you accept the Terms or first download, install, access, or use the Service, and ending when terminated as described in Section 13.2.
- Termination. If you violate any provision of these Terms, your authorization to access the Service and these Terms automatically terminate. In addition, Maven may, at its sole discretion, terminate these Terms or your account on the Service, or suspend or terminate your access to the Service, at any time for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. You may terminate your account and these Terms at any time by contacting customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Effect of Termination. Upon termination of these Terms: (a) your license rights will terminate and you must immediately cease all use of the Service; (b) you will no longer be authorized to access your account or the Service; (c) you must pay Maven any unpaid amount that was due prior to termination; and (d) all payment obligations accrued prior to termination and Sections 5.3, 6, 8.2, 13.3, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 will survive.
- Modification of the Service. Maven reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Service at any time (including by limiting or discontinuing certain features of the Service), temporarily or permanently, without notice to you. Maven will have no liability for any change to the Service or any suspension or termination of your access to or use of the Service.
- Indemnity. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you are responsible for your use of the Service, and you will defend and indemnify Maven and its officers, directors, employees, consultants, affiliates, subsidiaries and agents (together, the "Maven Entities") from and against every claim brought by a third party, and any related liability, damage, loss, and expense, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or connected with: (a) your unauthorized use of, or misuse of, the Service; (b) your violation of any portion of these Terms, any representation, warranty, or agreement referenced in these Terms, or any applicable law or regulation; (c) your violation of any third party right, including any intellectual property right or publicity, confidentiality, other property, or privacy right; or (d) any dispute or issue between you and any third party. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you (without limiting your indemnification obligations with respect to that matter), and in that case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of those claims.
- Disclaimers; No WarrantiesTHE SERVICE AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ON AN "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. MAVEN DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, RELATING TO THE SERVICE AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE, INCLUDING: (A) ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT; AND (B) ANY WARRANTY ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE. MAVEN DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE OR ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE, OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT OFFERED THROUGH THE SERVICE, WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, OR FREE OF ERRORS, VIRUSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, AND MAVEN DOES NOT WARRANT THAT ANY OF THOSE ISSUES WILL BE CORRECTED.NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SERVICE OR MAVEN ENTITIES OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY REGARDING ANY OF THE MAVEN ENTITIES OR THE SERVICE THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE SERVICE AND YOUR DEALING WITH ANY OTHER SERVICE USER. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU USE ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND THAT WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY (INCLUDING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR MOBILE DEVICE USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE) OR ANY LOSS OF DATA, INCLUDING USER CONTENT.THE LIMITATIONS, EXCLUSIONS AND DISCLAIMERS IN THIS SECTION APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Maven does not disclaim any warranty or other right that Maven is prohibited from disclaiming under applicable law.
- Limitation of LiabilityTO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL THE MAVEN ENTITIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES (INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, OR ANY OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF, OR YOUR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, THE SERVICE OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT ON THE SERVICE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STATUTE, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT ANY MAVEN ENTITY HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE.EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 17.5 AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE MAVEN ENTITIES TO YOU FOR ALL CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OF OR ANY INABILITY TO USE ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE OR OTHERWISE UNDER THESE TERMS, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, OR OTHERWISE, IS LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF: (A) THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID TO MAVEN FOR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE IN THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE EVENT OR CIRCUMSTANCE GIVING RISE TO CLAIM; OR (B) $100.EACH PROVISION OF THESE TERMS THAT PROVIDES FOR A LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES, OR EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES IS INTENDED TO AND DOES ALLOCATE THE RISKS BETWEEN THE PARTIES UNDER THESE TERMS. THIS ALLOCATION IS AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES. EACH OF THESE PROVISIONS IS SEVERABLE AND INDEPENDENT OF ALL OTHER PROVISIONS OF THESE TERMS. THE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION 16 WILL APPLY EVEN IF ANY LIMITED REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
- Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
- Generally. In the interest of resolving disputes between you and Maven in the most expedient and cost effective manner, and except as described in Section 17.2 and 17.3, you and Maven agree that every dispute arising in connection with these Terms will be resolved by binding arbitration. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a judge or jury, may allow for more limited discovery than in court, and can be subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award. This agreement to arbitrate disputes includes all claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of these Terms, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory, and regardless of whether a claim arises during or after the termination of these Terms. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, BY ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, YOU AND MAVEN ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION.
- Exceptions. Despite the provisions of Section 17.1, nothing in these Terms will be deemed to waive, preclude, or otherwise limit the right of either party to: (a) bring an individual action in small claims court; (b) pursue an enforcement action through the applicable federal, state, or local agency if that action is available; (c) seek injunctive relief in a court of law in aid of arbitration; or (d) to file suit in a court of law to address an intellectual property infringement claim.
- Opt-Out. If you do not wish to resolve disputes by binding arbitration, you may opt out of the provisions of this Section 17 within 30 days after the date that you agree to these Terms by sending a letter to Didactic, Inc., Attention: Legal Department – Arbitration Opt-Out, 10900 Research Blvd Ste 160C PMB 3086 Austin, TX 78759 that specifies: your full legal name, the email address associated with your account on the Service, and a statement that you wish to opt out of arbitration ("Opt-Out Notice"). Once Maven receives your Opt-Out Notice, this Section 17 will be void and any action arising out of these Terms will be resolved as set forth in Section 18.2. The remaining provisions of these Terms will not be affected by your Opt-Out Notice.
- Arbitrator. Any arbitration between you and Maven will be settled under the Federal Arbitration Act and administered by the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") under its Consumer Arbitration Rules (collectively, "AAA Rules") as modified by these Terms. The AAA Rules and filing forms are available online at www.adr.org, by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879, or by contacting Maven. The arbitrator has exclusive authority to resolve any dispute relating to the interpretation, applicability, or enforceability of this binding arbitration agreement.
- Notice of Arbitration; Process. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send a written notice of the dispute to the other party by certified U.S. Mail or by Federal Express (signature required) or, only if that other party has not provided a current physical address, then by electronic mail ("Notice of Arbitration"). Maven’s address for Notice is: Didactic, Inc., 10900 Research Blvd Ste 160C PMB 3086 Austin, TX 78759. The Notice of Arbitration must: (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought ("Demand"). The parties will make good faith efforts to resolve the claim directly, but if the parties do not reach an agreement to do so within 30 days after the Notice of Arbitration is received, you or Maven may commence an arbitration proceeding. All arbitration proceedings between the parties will be confidential unless otherwise agreed by the parties in writing. During the arbitration, the amount of any settlement offer made by you or Maven must not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator makes a final decision and award, if any. If the arbitrator awards you an amount higher than the last written settlement amount offered by Maven in settlement of the dispute prior to the award, Maven will pay to you the higher of: (i) the amount awarded by the arbitrator; or (ii) $10,000.
- Fees. If you commence arbitration in accordance with these Terms, Maven will reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee, unless your claim is for more than $10,000, in which case the payment of any fees will be decided by the AAA Rules. Any arbitration hearing will take place at a location to be agreed upon in Travis County, Texas, but if the claim is for $10,000 or less, you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted: (a) solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator; (b) through a non-appearance based telephone hearing; or (c) by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules in the county (or parish) of your billing address. If the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the Demand is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)), then the payment of all fees will be governed by the AAA Rules. In that case, you agree to reimburse Maven for all monies previously disbursed by it that are otherwise your obligation to pay under the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator must issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the decision and award, if any, are based. The arbitrator may make rulings and resolve disputes as to the payment and reimbursement of fees or expenses at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party made within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits.
- No Class Actions. YOU AND MAVEN AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. Further, unless both you and Maven agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
- Modifications to this Arbitration Provision. If Maven makes any future change to this arbitration provision, other than a change to Maven’s address for Notice of Arbitration, you may reject the change by sending us written notice within 30 days of the change to Maven’s address for Notice of Arbitration, in which case your account with Maven will be immediately terminated and this arbitration provision, as in effect immediately prior to the changes you rejected will survive.
- Enforceability. If Section 17.7 or the entirety of this Section 17 is found to be unenforceable, or if Maven receives an Opt-Out Notice from you, then the entirety of this Section 17 will be null and void and, in that case, exclusive jurisdiction and venue described in Section 18.2 will govern any action arising out of or related to these Terms.
- Governing Law. These Terms are governed by the laws of the State of Texas without regard to conflict of law principles. You and Maven submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state courts and federal courts located within Travis County, Texas for resolution of any lawsuit or court proceeding permitted under these Terms. We operate the Service from our offices in Texas, and we make no representation that Materials included in the Service are appropriate or available for use in other locations.
- Additional Terms. Your use of the Service is subject to all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to the Service or certain features of the Service that we may post on or link to from the Service (the "Additional Terms"). All Additional Terms are incorporated by this reference into, and made a part of, these Terms.
- Contact Information. The Service is offered by Maven Learning, Inc., located at 10900 Research Blvd Ste 160C PMB 3086 Austin, TX 78759. You may contact us by sending correspondence to that address or by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Notice to California Residents. If you are a California resident, under California Civil Code Section 1789.3, you may contact the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs in writing at 1625 N. Market Blvd., Suite S-202, Sacramento, California 95834, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210 in order to resolve a complaint regarding the Service or to receive further information regarding use of the Service.
- No Support. We are under no obligation to provide support for the Service. In instances where we may offer support, the support will be subject to published policies.
- International Use. The Service is intended for visitors located within the United States. We make no representation that the Service is appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. Access to the Service from countries or territories or by individuals where such access is illegal is prohibited.