Focus on What Matters Most
Make the Most of Your Resources
Set Realistic Expectations
Preserve Your Work-Life Balance
How to Master the Art of Saying “No” Confidently
- Be Prepared: Before you approach your boss, have a clear understanding of why you need to say “no”. Consider how it aligns with the team’s goals and your own workload.
- Choose the Right Time and Place: Timing is crucial. Choose a time when your boss is more likely to be receptive. Ensure the environment is conducive to a serious conversation.
- Express Gratitude: Start by expressing appreciation for the opportunity or for their trust in you to handle the task.
- Be Clear and Concise: Explain your reason for declining clearly. If it's due to workload, be prepared to show what you’re currently handling and how this additional task could affect your performance.
- Offer Alternatives: Suggest possible alternatives or solutions that might achieve the same objective without overloading you.
- Stay Professional: Maintain a calm and respectful demeanor throughout the conversation, regardless of your boss’s reaction.
- Ask for Support or Delegation: If necessary, ask if some of your current workload can be delegated or if additional support can be provided.
Templates for How to Say No to Your Boss
When Overloaded with Work
When It’s Outside Your Expertise
When It Clashes with Personal Values or Ethics
When It’s Not Feasible Within Time Constraints
Build Your Framework for Saying "No"
- Evaluate Alignment: Does the request align with your values and goals?
- Assess Impact on Resources: Will this strain or divert your resources?
- Consider Urgency: Can it wait? Is it critical now?
- Listen to Concerns: Understand the concerns of the other party and consider whether an alternative solution can address these while still aligning with your priorities.
Negotiation Playbook for Entrepreneurs and Tech Careers
Tactics, frameworks and lessons from a decade of coaching founders, PMs, engineers, and execs to get paid what they are worth.
Elevate your performance without compromising your health
In this course you will learn proven strategies to reduce stress, increase your focus, and boost your resilience.
Advance your leadership skills and guide your group with ease and confidence – no matter what happens.
Confidently negotiate new job offers
In this course you'll learn how to set yourself up for success when negotiating a new job offer.
Communicating with Power
A world-class program designed for women to deliver your message with authority and present your most persuasive self.
Advanced Negotiation Skills for the Workplace
Strategies & frameworks to negotiate anything in your career with confidence