3 ways to think about a great course title
By Rachel Cai
A great course name will grab the attention of prospective students. Here's how to come up with a better course title.
Generate 10-15 course name ideas
When coming up with a name for your course, you'll write 10 bad ideas before finding one good idea. Your first step is to write 10-15 titles. Here are some brainstorming templates to inspire you:
- How to [action-oriented outcome]
- How to [action-oriented outcome] for [target Student]
- How [target student] can [achieve outcome]
- [Action-oriented outcome] in 3 hours/1 week/2 weeks
- Build your first [outcome]
- Create your [outcome]
- [Topic] Training
- [Topic] Accelerator
- [Topic] 101 or 201
- [Topic] Crash Course
- [Topic] Bootcamp
- [Topic] Seminar
- [Topic] Strategy
- [Topic] Masterclass
- [Topic] Program
- [Topic] Foundations
As you brainstorm, feel free to be more descriptive rather than concise. The goal is not to come up with a pithy title—it's to generate lots of ideas. Once your ideas start flowing, you'll find a golden nugget in the list.
Here's a brainstorming document from a course about product strategy. The instructor wrote a dozen action-oriented, "how to" statements before landing on one she liked.
A great course name is descriptive, juicy, and urgent
It can be tempting to want to coin a catchy term like "Atomic Habits" (James Clear) or "Purple Cow" (Seth Godin). But most students browsing the Maven marketplace prefer a clear and descriptive title that tells them exactly what they'll learn.
A great course name is:
- Descriptive: clearly states what the course is about
- Juicy: enticing and compelling
- Urgent: solves a vexing problem
Here are a few examples. Notice how they are all descriptive and clear even though they vary in length.
- Break into AI Product Management in 2 Weeks (Marily Nika)
- Improve your B2B SaaS Website Conversion Rate in 3 Hours (Emily Kramer)
- Managing Your PM Career in 2023 & Beyond (Shreyas Doshi)
- Financial Statements Explained Simply (Brian Feroldi & Brian Stoffel)
- Crypto Academy Training Program (Anthony Pompliano)
- Startup Brand Strategy (Arielle Jackson)
- Sales Leadership that Delivers Results (Pete Hancock)
Action: Set your course name
To set your course name, go to Settings > General. Updating your course name here will automatically update the title on your landing page.
Be the first to know what's new on Maven
Contact support: firstname.lastname@example.org